In Hungary, motorways and expressways require the pre-purchase of an e-Vignette (“Matrica”) before entering the toll sections.
Only a few road sections can be used free of charge.
For the list of toll-free sections, please go to http://toll-charge.hu/articles/article/toll-free-sections
What does a vignette look like?
The Vignette is an e-Vignette and therefore no sticker needs to be applied on the vehicle. The advantage is that the e-vignette can be purchased online and is valid immediately if necessary.
Who needs a vignette?
Motorcycles, passenger cars, cargo vehicles, campers, buses and trailers.
All vehicles requiring a Vignette are organized into categories:
D1: motorcycles and passenger cars – up to 7 persons including the driver & with a maximum permissible gross weight of 3.5 tons, including the trailer if any;
D2: all passenger cars not included in category D1 – i.e. more than 7 persons – as well as cargo vehicles of a maximum permissible gross weight of 3.5 tons and campers;
B2: buses – motor vehicles for the purpose of transportation of passengers, having more than 9 permanent seats, including the driver’s seat;
U: trailers of vehicles in categories D2 and B2,
To determine to which category your vehicle belongs to, please review the guidelines on the website of the “National Toll Payment Services” company: http://toll-charge.hu/articles/article/pricing
What is the scope covered by a vignette?
The e-Vignette can be purchased either:
- by county (for 1 year only)
- for the whole country (for 10 days, 1 month or 1 year).
There are 19 counties in Hungary.
For the list of counties, please go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Hungary
For the detailed toll road scope of each county, please go to
How long is a vignette valid for?
The Vignette is valid for either:
- 10 days: 10 consecutive calendar days in total until the 24th hour of the 10th day;
- 1 month: valid from the selected start day until midnight of the day of the same number in the following month. If there is no such day, then until midnight of the last day of the month;
- 1 year: calendar year, vignette is valid until January 31 of the following calendar year.
How much does a vignette cost?
The price will depend on the category of the vehicle (D1, D2, B2, U), the scope (county or national), the duration of validity (10 days, 1 month, 1 year).
For the current price list please consult:
Where can I buy a vignette?
The following options are currently available:
- You can purchase the E-Vignette either at approved selling points (national highway authority offices, gas stations, etc.).
See detailed list of selling points: http://toll-charge.hu/sales_points/index/eng
- Online & Cell Phone: http://toll-charge.hu/articles/article/online-and-mobile-purchase-information
You will receive a paper receipt or a text message indicating the car license plate number, the category of the vehicle, the scope of validity and the period for which it is valid.
It is recommended to keep the paper receipt in your car in case of control.